Director of Payroll
New York, NY
The Director Payroll will be responsible for the successful processing and analysis of the Company payroll. This position will lead the payroll team in its transition to the cloud payroll, and should have experience with payroll conversions.
Delivers result oriented leadership through best practices and processes that provide necessary strategic execution of Payroll plans across a variety of employee groups and locations.
- Responsible for corporate payroll strategy, planning, communications, and marketing the payroll function and related services
- Oversee weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly and monthly payroll processing for administrative and union employees, including NY, California and Chicago, and multiple companies.
- Create and implement an escalation policy that will notify key stakeholders of any issues or delays with payroll related tasks and filings.
- Oversee the processing of Tax Wires, Direct Deposit, and Positive Pay.
- Responsible for auditing of Month End, Quarter End and Year End taxes and reconciling/audit of quarterly federal, state and local tax returns including the federal 941’s and the state and local equivalents.
- Responsible for reconciliation of W2’s for multiple companies and the filing of Canadian T4 and Rl1 Forms.
- Coordinate/participate on all payroll audits including worker’s compensation, unions, regulatory agencies, internal audit and external financial/accounting audits.
- Responsible for maintaining Oracle HCM application in collaboration with our People Practices systems team as well as a liaison/working relationship with the HCM/Finance Technology Department.
- Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) related reporting, projects and maintenance
- Strong leader who inspires people and leads by example in a compelling way
- Builds strong relationships with key stakeholders and works collaboratively in all aspects of the job
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Cloud payroll experience, ideally has been through a payroll conversion in recent experience
- Deep understanding of Cloud reporting capabilities and understanding of data driven reports that will help drive business
- Excellent/advanced Excel skills
- Proficiency in PC Skills including Windows, Microsoft suite, and Oracle cloud payroll
- Union payroll experience
- Deep operational experience leading a compelling payroll function
- 7-10 years’ experience in Cloud payroll, including payroll processing, tax processing and reporting expertise.